Wednesday, January 29, 2014

UnBelizeable


I arrived in Belize City early in the morning, and decided I wanted to head straight out to the the island of Caye Caulker. Unfortunately I brought the same bad weather with me from Mexico which wasn't great considering the islands are famed for having the largest barrier-reefs in the northern hemisphere and optimal snorkelling conditions. However if the weather was the same as in Mexico everything else couldn't be more different. The tiny country lodged in the middle of Central America is the only one not to speak Spanish, with English being the official language in Belize, although sometimes the broad Caribbean accents could be harder for me to comprehend than Spanish.
Even if the weather was pretty lousy for most of my stay in Cage Caulker, the people were friendly and I walked around the relaxed "Go Slow" island a few times, between colourful wooden houses, eating delicious lobster dishes and occasionally washed it down with some local rum or beer. Towards the end of my stay here even the weather turned for the better and I could actually enjoy the fantastic snorkelling, seeing all kinds of different sealife including some pretty intimidating sharks and massive stingrays. After almost a week I decided it was time to head out of Belize and caught the ferry back to Belize City with Nicky, Sophie and Eva, three Dutch girls I met at the hostel. We then caught a very cramped minibus across the Guatemalan border and eventually to the small lakeside town of Flores.

No comments: